Cranberries are a seasonal fruit grown in bogs and harvested in the fall in my New England region. Though popular culture largely confines them to juice and cooked sauce, when you eat them raw the tart little berries are a major nutrient powerhouse - sporting anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial super powers.
This unusual smoothie packs an additional anti-inflammatory punch from the flavonoids in raw cacao powder, and even a little anti-cancer boost from the polyphenols in orange peel.
Plus the sweet-tart smoothness tastes great! Tangy fruit and rich chocolate are a killer combo for me. I hope you like this one too.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or half and half with black coffee)
- 1/3 cup frozen organic cranberries (or fresh)
- 1 serving chocolate protein powder (or plain or vanilla)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds or 2 teaspoons MCT oil
- 2 teaspoons raw cacao or cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Generous pinch ground cloves or cinnamon
- 1-inch strip organic orange or lemon peel, optional
- Few drops liquid stevia or squirt of NuNaturals Chocolate Syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
Feel free to sub in some coffee for part of the liquid base for a cool, frosty latte!